AW: [Mimedefang] Performance tuning MD w/ SA

Martin Bene martin.bene at icomedias.com
Tue Nov 26 03:25:01 EST 2002

Hi Justin,

> Can anyone offer any tips on performance tuning MIMEDefang or
> SpammAssassin running with it on a Sendmail 8.12.6 box?  I
> can not figure out if Razor is running with SA.
> I also can't tell if SA is making redundant queries to
> DNSBLs that Sendmail is already doing. I don't
> believe it's doing either.

>From mimedefang.pl:
 # Defaults
 $SALocalTestsOnly = 1 unless defined($SALocalTestsOnly);

  $SASpamTester = Mail::SpamAssassin->new({
    local_tests_only   => $SALocalTestsOnly,
    dont_copy_prefs    => 1,
    userprefs_filename => $config});

so unless you explicitely set $SALocalTestsOnly=0, SA will run neither razor
nor DNSBL.

> On another thought, should Sendmail point to mimedefang.sock or
> mimedefang-multiplexor.sock for the milter socket?  I'm
> currently pointing
> to mimedefang.sock and it's working.

Sendmail points to mimedefang.sock; if mimedefang is started correctly, it
hands off the requests to the multiplexor instead of directly starting perl
subprocesses:

        echo -n "Starting mimedefang: "
        daemon $MIMEDEFANG -m /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-mx.sock \
                -p /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock $SENDER_CHECK
$RELAY_CHECK \
                -P /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.pid -U mimefilter

Bye, Martin