[Mimedefang] enforcing size limitations during mail rcpt

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Nov 13 11:00:01 EST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Douglas J Hunley wrote:

> does anyone know if its possible (and how to accomplish) enforcing a size
> limitation on email *while the SMTP session is active*.

A polite sender will send the SIZE=xxx keyword with the MAIL FROM:
command, allowing rejection of large messages before anything is
transmitted.  (A very polite sender will obey the "SIZE xxx" indication
in the EHLO response and not even attempt to send an over-large message.)

Of course, rude or malicious senders will not do this.  I assume Sendmail
will stop saving the message once the limit is reached (but you'd have to
check for sure.)

This is probably doable with Milter, but is not currently possible with
MIMEDefang.