[Mimedefang] mimedefang-multiplexor fails under load.

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Nov 7 17:04:01 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 defang at mycrom.net wrote:

> I seem to be having a problem with failures of mimedefang-multiplexor
> under heavy traffic volume. Once the servers are doing past 100-120
> message per minute it is just a matter or time before
> mimedefang-multiplexor just goes away with no error message left behind
> in the logs.

This is a known bug in versions < 2.23.  I recommend you upgrade to 2.25.

Here's the changelog excerpt for 2.23:

2002-10-18  David F. Skoll  <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>

        * Version 2.23 RELEASED

        * SECURITY UPDATE: An attacker with sufficient bandwidth may be
        able to crash mimedefang-multiplexor for versions up to 2.22.
        This attack cannot be used to execute attacker's code; it's only a
        denial-of-service attack.  See next changelog entry for details:

        * event_tcp.c (handle_writeable): Check that state->f is
        non-NULL before dereferencing it.