[Mimedefang] Installed on FreeBSD, but not working

Richard Cooper ric at digital-animations.com
Tue Nov 5 05:38:01 EST 2002

Sorry if this comes through twice but my first attempt was bounced for bad quoting (bad me!).

Is mimedefang actually running? You have to change mimedefang.sh-dist to mimedefang.sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d to get it to start at boot. The FreeBSD port adds the mimedefang.sh-dist, but you have to rename it manually (I made that mistake myself once).

Also SpamAssassin is added automatically by the port so if it was installed manually first you could try starting again and just using the port to pull in everything.

You could also try greping sendmail.cf for mimedefang to check that he did rebuild it from the mc file.

If you install everything from the port those are really the only things you have to do manually (change the .sh-dist file and add the mimedefang line to sendmail.mc). You really need to edit the filter file as well but I don't think that would prevent it running, admin emails just wouldn't work.

Cheers
Ric

they are addressed.

originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

states them to be the views of Digital Animations Group.