[Mimedefang] suggested mimedefang-filter

Wladyslaw Pietraszek wap at cs.auc.dk
Wed May 15 03:23:21 EDT 2002

On Tue, 14 May 2002, David F. Skoll wrote:

  >On Tue, 14 May 2002, Wladyslaw Pietraszek wrote:
  >

  >The trailing "$" was omitted on purpose to (try) to cope sensibly with
  >malformed MIME headers which could be misinterpreted one way by MIMEDefang
  >and a different way by e-mail clients.
  >
  >Yes, .htaccess files will be blocked.  No, it's not a problem in the real
  >world. :-)

Thanks for the explanation and a good product :-)
Perhaps a clear warning in an example mimedefang-filter about the
current semantics would be desirable to make people aware about
it.

The major issue is to inform users about a current filter
policy not whether the particular file was quarantined.

For example our policy is to quarantine all files with extensions
considered by Microsoft as dangerous ("Outlook E-mail Security Update")
+ some  additions (clearly listed).
The semantics of filter without "$" goes beyond this, so I was caught
by missing "$" - my fault.

Regards,
--Wladyslaw