[Mimedefang] Skipping Defang for Outgoing Messages

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu May 9 15:52:27 EDT 2002

On Thu, 09 May 2002 11:40:23 -0700 Anthony Slay <anthony at ocga.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> My users are having the problem of waiting a minimum 4 seconds for an
> outgoing mail to be sent off and to some of them, this is annoying.

Are you using the multiplexor?  4 seconds is a long time.

If you are *not* using the multiplexor, then nothing you do in your
filter will help, because you still incur the startup time.

If you *are* using the multiplexor, then checking the relay address
and skipping complex checks (e.g. SpamAssassin) for internal hosts
will speed things up.

Another option is to run separate mail servers for incoming and outgoing
messages.  The outgoing relay can just accept the message with no filtering
and pass it on to the main relay.

stream_by_domain is *not* the right tool for this job.

> Also, is there a tool to append quarantined messages to a unix user's
> mailbox?  I've tried using cat but that just make an invalid mailbox entry.

You have to resend the message (after making sure it won't get
re-quarantined!) like this:

sendmail -f`cat SENDER` `cat RECIPIENTS` < ENTIRE_MESSAGE