[Mimedefang] Skipping Defang for Outgoing Messages

Fox, Randy Randy_Fox at csgsystems.com
Thu May 9 15:30:35 EDT 2002

> Does anybody know if there a way to skip MIMEDefang for all outgoing messages?

If you skip MIMEDefang on the outgoing side, you're allowing those attachment types go out.  If one happens to be infected, then your domain is a source of a virus.  We were able to sell the new scanning partly on the grounds that we're protecting our customers as well as ourselves.

In our network, our users only touch a central hub.  The messages go from there to the SMTP-Relays on the DMZ.  The servers on the DMZ are the ones that have MIMEDefang installed.  Attachments are stripped at the "front-door" as they come and go from the network.  Additionally, the users have never seen that slit delay while a message is being scanned.  From a performance point of view, the users never knew we had added the scanning functions.

Randy