AW: [Mimedefang] Sendmail crash

Robert Dege rcd at amherst.com
Wed Mar 27 12:04:17 EST 2002

> > I'm not all too familiar with milter, but I figured that if the emails
> > have reached mimedefang, then milter has done it's job.
>
> No, MIMEDefang is an integral part of the milter processing.  It's
> not a kind of post-process.  You really don't want to touch the mdefang*
> contents; if the e-mail was tempfailed, the sending relay should try
> again later.

Pardon my naivness, but are you saying that sendmail will try to deliver
the message later, or the user's mailserver will received a deferred
response from my mailserver & try sending the messaged at a later time?
The reason I ask is that I have 1 mdefang dir from March 23rd, 50+ from
March 24th, and several hundred on March 25-26th.

> What is your message volume, by the way?

I have 760+ mdefang folders in the MIMDefang work directory.  This is
why I have to deliver these messages.  It doesn't appear as if they're
going to be resent through MIMEDefang.

Another question.  If I stop & restart mimedefang & sendmail, thus
forcing it to stop work on current mdefang dir's, will it scan for these
directories, or are these email considered lost as well?

-Rob