[Mimedefang] Spamassassin & MimeDefang

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Thu Mar 28 17:50:00 EST 2002

On 28 Mar 2002 at 17:07, Rich West wrote:

> I have been using MimeDefang at a few installations (Solaris and Linux)
> with great success.  The installation includes Anomy::Html and
> Spamassassin..
>
> My question is on the integration of SpamAssassin.. I've tried to set
> whitelist_from *@ebay.com in the /etc/mail/spamassassin.cf file, but
> that seems to be getting ignored.

The following may or may not have to do with your problem, but it was
an issue for me:

Since v2.0, SpamAssassin has expected its sitewide configuration to
be in either or both of
/etc/mail/spamassassin/[local.cf|migrated.cf].  Upon "make install"
of SA, it'll take an existing /etc/mail/spamassassin.cf file and move
it to /etc/mail/spamassassin/migrated.cf.

MIMEDefang hardcodes /etc/mail/spamassassin.cf as the location of the
sitewide configuration, and if the file isn't present, it'll create
one with reasonable defaults.  Depending what order things get
installed and run, you may find that changes you've made are no
longer where you expect them. :-)

At the moment I've got /etc/mail/spamassassin.cf symlinked to
/etc/mail/spamassassin/migrated.cf, which is where I make any desired
changes.  I have to recreate that symlink every time I upgrade SA,
though.

I've got some whitelist_from entries which are working just fine--
messages which were formerly marked as spam get 100 subtracted from
their spam score.

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager