[Mimedefang] Timeout on large attachments

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Mar 11 10:27:54 EST 2002

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Mickey Hill wrote:

> Maybe you have answered this before, but I can't find it in the
> archives.  Can you tell me exactly what is happening here, and perhaps a
> solution?  This only happens on large ( > 10-20 MB) messages.  Thank
> you!

My guess is that MIME::Tools is very slow on such large messages.  Not
only do you have to increase Sendmail's timeouts, but you also have to
increase MIMEDefang's timeouts.  See the mimedefang-multiplexor(8) man
page and the "-b" option.

Policy question: Do you really want people sending 30MB e-mails?  My
server refuses anything over a megabyte.  Such large e-mails are an
inviting DoS mechanism, especially if someone knows you're using
MIMEDefang.