[Mimedefang] A little confusered

Weyland nw2linux at varangiankindred.org
Thu Jun 20 22:15:57 EDT 2002

On Thursday 20 June 2002 03:11 pm, you wrote:

> By default, MIMEDefang/SpamAssassin doesn't reject mail.  It merely
> adds headers reporting the spam "status" of the message.

Ahhhhh... okay.

> It's
> usually not difficult to configure mail clients to filter mail based
> on these headers, which leaves the decision about whether or not to
> drop mail in the hands of the end user.

Yeah, but we wanna get it before that.

> If you do eventually decide that you want to reject spam at the SMTP
> level, it's quite easy to configure MIMEDefang to do so.

Okay, good.
This is what I've been tasked to do.

> However,
> you'll probably want to study the issue for a while--determine what
> score you should use to eliminate false positives, figure out whether
> there are any mailing lists or senders/recipients who should be
> whitelisted, etc.

Well, I've been told to immediately kill anything with pen at s, brea$t, etc...
We've got quite a file of other words they want killed immediately as well.
*Especially* anything with "chicken soup for the soul" ~! LOL~!

> SpamAssassin is never going to be 100% effective,
> so making the decision to reject mail based on its criteria shouldn't
> be done lightly.

Understood.

> Well, once you've figured out exactly what you want to do, there are
> probably many people on this list who could help you out with code
> fragments.  As I said above, it's not complicated to do, but some
> planning should be involved. :-)

I appreciate that.
Once I get learning, I'll probably ask for
examples of how to do things, if that's okay.
Usually, a point in the right direction is all I need,
but be forewarned - I can be pretty dense sometimes.

Thanks,

Weyland