[Mimedefang] Your vendor has not defined Sys::Syslog macro _PATH_LOG

Karel.DeBruyne at ua.ac.be Karel.DeBruyne at ua.ac.be
Wed Jun 19 02:36:23 EDT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Mike Batchelor wrote:

> --On Tuesday, June 18, 2002 4:42 PM -0400 Jason Englander
> <jason at englanders.cc> wrote:
>
> > Try changing line 2585 (in version 2.15 anyway) from unix to inet (and
> > restart MD of course).  I use 'unix' in every Perl script I have that
> > uses Sys::Syslog, but that's under Linux...
>
> Well that did the trick, however I built this perl on the same host where
> mimedefang is running.  This command:
>
> cd /usr/include ; find . -name \*.h -print |xargs grep _PATH_LOG
>
> ...returns nothing.  I run Solaris 7/sparc on my Ultra140.  I find no
> _PATH_LOG in Solaris 8, either.  I don't think it's reasonable to use
> 'unix' as the default for syslogging.  But then, I find lots of
> unreasonable defaults in software that has appeared since Linux became
> prominent.  In many ways, trying to use Solaris in a Linux world is a lot
> like trying to use Linux in a Windows world.  Ironic, isn't it?

A lot of that software probably wouldn't have been written if Linux didn't
exist...

So, as a Solaris systemmanager, I prefer it this way. For me, it's a lot
easier to get Linux software running on a Solaris machine than write it
myself :-)

But since Sun recognized the importance of Linux, future releases of
Solaris might be more compatible to Linux.
If you can't beat them...

Karel

> ---
> "The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
>  -- Kosh

Karel De Bruyne
System/Network Manager                      phone      + 32 3 820 22 04
UIA - Network Service                       fax        + 32 71 83 43 00
Universiteitsplein 1 - B0.12                email  dbruyne at uia.ua.ac.be
B 2610 Wilrijk - Belgium              http://www.uia.ua.ac.be/u/dbruyne