[Mimedefang] Your vendor has not defined Sys::Syslog macro _PATH_LOG

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jun 18 22:37:02 EDT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Mike Batchelor wrote:

> Well that did the trick, however I built this perl on the same host where
> mimedefang is running.  This command:

I will make this a configure-time option.

> ...returns nothing.  I run Solaris 7/sparc on my Ultra140.  I find no
> _PATH_LOG in Solaris 8, either.

It worked for me out of the box with the Perl package included with Solaris
8.

> I don't think it's reasonable to use
> 'unix' as the default for syslogging.

I disagree.  I think the fewer daemons listening by default on TCP or
UDP ports, the safer.  I was quite shocked when I ran netstat on my
freshly-installed Solaris box...

> But then, I find lots of
> unreasonable defaults in software that has appeared since Linux became
> prominent.  In many ways, trying to use Solaris in a Linux world is a lot
> like trying to use Linux in a Windows world.  Ironic, isn't it?

:-)  The code is GPL'd; feel free to submit portability patches.