[Mimedefang] Thinking of implementing MimeDefang (Questions)

Barry Byrne barry.byrne at wbtsystems.com
Tue Jul 30 12:51:01 EDT 2002

> Hello fellow defanger's
>
> I'm currently contemplating implementing mimedefang. Based on what I have
> read so far at the defang site, this seems like the perfect
> 1) Must continue to use sendmail to front-end all inbound e-mail

No problem!

> 2) Leave virus checking on Exchange Server.

No problem - you could do the virus checking on either or both!

> 3) Use MimeDefang to split e-mail header/body for SpamAssassin.
> 4) Use SpamAssassin to check (flag) e-mail content for SPAM and add
> appropriate header entries
> 5) Allow Outlook users to add a "Rule" to accept/discard e-mail based on
> SpamAssassin header additions.

All fairly simple. I add a header in the format: X-Spam-Level: *****
where the number of stars matches the Spam rating given by Spam-Assassin.
This way you just have your users specify a filter/rule in outlook with
the appropriate number of stars for their cut-off preference.

> 1) Am I properly understanding what (where) mimedefang's role is in
> processing inbound e-mail? i.e. Split e-mail into header/body for further
> processing, then reassemble e-mail and handoff to sendmail for final
> delivery. In my case, relay to exchange server.

Mimedefang works with Sendmails milter functionality to allow mail to be
passed through filters before Sendmail completes delivery.

> 2) If I implement a mimedefang/spamassassin solution, will I be
> able to use
> my existing sendmail configurations? i.e. access/mailertable entries.

Yes.

> FWIW: I have always wanted to implement SpamAssassin, but based on my
> understanding on how to implement SpamAssassin, it required me to use
> procmail. i.e. Reconfigure sendmail for local delivery. <groan!!!> If I
> understand mimedefang's role, I would no longer need to use procmail.
> Correct?

Correct - Procmail is not required.

Cheers,

Barry