[Mimedefang] Please enlighten a dim bulb

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Jul 26 14:18:01 EDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Michael Grau wrote:

> If I send a simple message that I know will be flagged
> as spam all works as expected; the headers are added:

> However, if I send the same message with a small binary
> attachment, the message sails with no hits:

That sounds like a bug in SpamAssassin.  Try (temporarily) using
the "-k" flag on MIMEDefang to keep the spool directory instead of
deleting it.  Then tar up both versions and send them to me
off-list, and I'll take a look.

> Why does calling action_quarantine_entire_message cause mimedefang
> to molest the recipients message with the $GeneralWarning and the
> $msg passed to action_quarantine_entire_message?

The man page is incorrect; sorry.  If you do NOT supply a "$msg",
then action_quarantine_entire_message won't add any warnings.  If you
do, it will.

To get the behaviour you want, you need two steps:

	action_quarantine_entire_message();
	action_notify_administrator("Message quarantined");

> Also, can the spamassassin checks be used in filter_end? I'd rather
> not call spamassassin if the message is going to be rejected in fitler()
> anyway.

Yes.  It's better to do it in filter_end for the very reason you mention.