[Mimedefang] First two headers not written to INPUTMSG

James B. Huber jbh at JudahNet.com
Tue Jul 23 11:34:00 EDT 2002

Guess I'd like to offer a comment on RBL's....

We process around 2 million emails a business day. Of
that 1.25 -> 1.5 million are SPAM/UCE. Using a RBL,
we drop over 80% of the SPAM/UCE up-front (IE we don't
let SpamAssassin process the RBL's we have sendmail
do it, with a local resolver which servers the RBL list).
  This load is spread over 5 machines, without dropping
the bulk of the SPAM/UCE up-front we would need 4 times
as many boxes to process the mail due the load that
SA imposes.
  If you have ANY amount of volume, and don't want to
open for DoS on your mail just due to volume and SA
overload, then running an RBL "up-front" makes huge
sense.