[Mimedefang] Multiplexor Error

Steve Robb steve_robb at cnt.com
Thu Jul 11 15:56:01 EDT 2002

Weyland,

We end up processing 8K - 10K messages per day.

This machine is set up as a SMTP gateway/SPAM Filter/Virus Scanner that is
front ending our mail servers (so no local accounts). It's a Sparc Ultra 10,
512KB of memory, Solaris 9, and I've tuned it for MAX_SLAVES=6,
MIN_SLAVES=2, BUSY_TIMEOUT=90.

Per David's comment, I've been monitoring vmstat and there are definitely
times when it runs 0% idle time. I had cranked the MAX_SLAVES number down
quite low after I had made the initial mistake of thinking that more slaves
were better and had set MIN_SLAVES=15 and MAX_SLAVES=25. The results were
not pretty. <g> For the last couple of days its been set to MIN_SLAVES=2 and
MAX_SLAVES=6 with a small number of errors

I'll probably ramp it up to MAX_SLAVES=8 and see how it performs.

Steve