[Mimedefang] sendmail as mail proxy

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jul 9 19:30:01 EDT 2002

On 9 Jul 2002, Tim Kramer wrote:

> My incoming mail has a background level of 1-3 msgs per second with 5
> daily spikes of up to 12,000 msgs in a 5 minute period (works out to an
> average of 40 per second)

Woah!!

There was a suggestion on comp.mail.sendmail that when the system is
overloaded (e.g., when all filters are busy), MIMEDefang should copy
messages to a queue directory without scanning them, and return a
SMFIS_DISCARD code to Sendmail.  A background process continuously
empties the queue directory by scanning and remailing the messages.
That way, huge spikes are automatically serialized and the load is
smoothed out.  As long as your box can handle the average load
comfortably, the queue would not grow unbounded.

Would there be interest in my implementing something like this?  Would
anyone be willing to support this financially? :-)