[Mimedefang] sendmail as mail proxy

Nate Carlson natecars at real-time.com
Tue Jul 9 00:31:01 EDT 2002

On 8 Jul 2002, Tim Kramer wrote:
> If anyone actually does this, please include version numbers for
> everything and also include the operating system used.
>
> I tried to use MIMEDefang in a heavy production environment using
> BSDi, Linux, and FreeBSD.  I was limited to these three choices
> because of the available (already purchased) command line virus
> scanner.  In each case, there was a technical obsticle which needed
> work.  The configuration of MD, SA, and virus scanner which worked the
> best involved the BSDi OS with the Linux App Platform loaded.
> Unfortunately it's not the most recent version of BSDi.
>
> Since then, I've experimented with "adapting" MD to run from a script
> rather than as a milter.  (Which has it's own drawbacks but appears to
> be much more stable on the older commercial OS.)

We've deployed this for a few clients specifically as a proxy. Not
extremely large systems, mind you -- around 100 users at one site and 300
at another, a couple thousand e-mail messages a day at each site, I'd say.
(One every two to three seconds getting processed through).

I've done it on both RedHat 6.2 based boxes (glibc 2.1) and RedHat 7.x
based boxes (glibc 2.2).. both work just fine. Using 2.4 kernel in both
cases, and MD 2.9-2.15 with SA 1.20.