[Mimedefang] Broken Pipe in Milter?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sun Jul 7 17:32:01 EDT 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 Dale_Whiteaker-Lewis at Dell.com wrote:

> Thanks.  8.12.5 w/MD 2-15 w/SpamAssassin 2.31 doesn't seem to do the trick.
> I get a ton of "client didn't issue EXPN" etc. type messages as well and no
> messages are processed.  Curiouser and curiouser...

> Example maillog snippet:
> Jul  6 23:02:37 smtp6 sendmail[27892]: g6742a3J027892: [211.251.148.129] did
> not
> issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

This is quite normal, if you are using access maps or DNS blacklists to ban
open relays.  If, for any reason, your local Sendmail decides to deny access
to a mail server, you'll get this message logged.  Also, if spammers
are probing your server, you sometimes see this.

Bottom line:  If most messages are OK, and if you only get the milter
error message in conjunction with some other message (like the one above),
your setup is fine.  If mose messages seem to be getting stuck, then it's
a real problem.

> Jul  6 23:02:37 smtp6 mimedefang-multiplexor: Reap: Idle slave 0 (pid 27896)
> exited normally with status 1 (SLAVE DIED UNEXPECTEDLY)

This message is a problem.  An idle slave terminating could mean bad
hardware.