[Mimedefang] My machine is frozen

Nate Carlson natecars at real-time.com
Wed Jul 3 12:51:47 EDT 2002

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Alain.Lavoie at ec.gc.ca wrote:
>     I have Red Hat 7.3, Sendmail 8.12.4, MD 2.14 and SA 2.20 for
> software. Hardware is: dual CPU 1.2 gig and 2 gig of RAM. This PC is
> installed only for e-mail gateway.
>
>     I don't know if this happen to someone else but every four/five
> days my PC froze. I have no prompt and the solution (hopefully
> temporairy) i have is reboot. The log is empty and i can't find
> anything. I'm suspecting SpamAssassin...

Probably has nothing to do with MimeDefang/SpamAssassin; they may cause
the load that crashes it, but probably not the cause of it. I'd bet
hardware problems.

Have you run memtest86 across your memory? If not, burn a floppy and throw
it in, let it run a day or so, see if you get any errors.

If you don't get any errors there, my recommendations would be as follows:

1) Check heat. Especially with Athlon CPU's, if it gets a little too warm,
it may lock up. I fought with this problem for a long time on one of our
Athlon MP machines..

2) See if anyone else on LKML is having problems with the same motherboard
you've got

3) Try turning everything off, and see if it still locks up