[Mimedefang] Migrate to production

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Feb 25 22:20:56 EST 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

> Problem is, not all domains receive the same type of email, some
> receive HTML, others don't, blah blah blah...  All of which I plan on having
> rules written for - but.  How should I best do this?

I would err on the side of letting mail through.  Also, if you reject mail,
you might initially want to use "quarantine_entire_message" so if some
irate client needs the mail, you can at least retrieve it from the spool.

I do not recommend indiscriminately banning HTML mail.  I think it's
better to use a tool like SpamAssassin to do a more sophisticated
analysis of the mail.

For what it's worth, I host two (main) domains on my mail server
(roaringpenguin.com and artandframingsolutions.com).  Appended are my
rules about HTML.  As you can see, I accept HTML mail from certain
domains and some particular mailing lists, and then some general
patterns for mailing lists.  I also accept HTML if either of my
domains appears in the "To:" or "Cc:" list.  I still get a fair bit of
rejected HTML mail --- all of it spam, as far as I can tell.

    if ($Sender =~ /oclug/ || $Sender =~ /bugtraq/ || $Sender =~ /-admin/ || $Sender =~ /owner-/ || $Sender =~ /\@cibc\.ca/) {
        $HTMLOK = 1;
    } else {
        $HTMLOK = 0;
    }

    # Accept HTML if we appear in the To: field
    if (open(HDRS, "<./HEADERS")) {
        while(<HDRS>) {
            if (/^To:.*\@.*roaringpenguin\.com/i) {
                $HTMLOK = 1;