[Mimedefang] Mimedefang with Anomy and SpamAssassin

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Mon Feb 4 17:30:03 EST 2002

On 2 Feb 2002 at 9:48, David F. Skoll wrote:

> The call to spam_assassin_is_spam feeds it the un-decoded original
> input message.  SA was not really designed for integration with a
> system which has already decoded message parts.

This might be too bad, really.  I've noticed a couple of very
obviously spammy messages slip through without being marked by SA
because it doesn't seem to handle multipart messages properly.
Messages of the form

message (multipart/alternative)

 \-part 1 (blank)

 \-part 2 (base64 encoded HTML)

don't seem to get any "body" heuristics matched.  I'm not sure if SA
isn't handling the encoding properly, or if it's choking on the
multipart nature of the message (or something else entirely).

It occurred to me that one potential way of increasing the efficiency
of MIMEDefang/SpamAssassin integration might be to subclass the
Mail::Audit (or NoMailAudit) functions responsible for
decoding/pulling out the message parts in order to grab them from the
MIMEDefang working directory instead.  Right now, each message is
processed twice by entirely different means.  Eliminating one of the
decoding/splitting steps might be faster.

I know David is way too busy, and I don't know if it's even feasible.
I'd like to look at this myself in my copious spare time *cough*, but
I'm throwing the idea out there in case someone's feeling
particularly industrious. :-)

Thoughts?
----
Nels Lindquist <*>