[Mimedefang] Header wrapping revisited

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Feb 21 14:58:23 EST 2002

Hi, Nels.

> I've been taking a look at implementing some sort of header wrapping
> in the add_header function for extremely long headers.

I've implemented it to some extent in 2.6 Beta 1.  If the value of the
header contains newlines, they get converted into newline-tab sequences.

For example:

action_add_header("X-Test", "This should\nbe wrapped");

adds a header like this:

	be wrapped

You still have to put your newlines in manually.  The way the wrapping
is communicated back to mimedefang.c and smfi_addheader is a Hack (TM).
Read the code for details. :-)

Nevertheless, the *total* length of a header line including folding seems
(from my testing) to be limited in some way by Sendmail.  It's probably
not a good idea to create 10kB header lines. :-)