[Mimedefang] mimedefang-multiplexor name too long

Nicholas Brealey nick at brealey.org
Mon Feb 18 17:11:02 EST 2002

It is probably too late to change the name now but I had
a problem with the mimedefang-multiplexor name being
too long.

In my init script on Solaris I was using the
following commands to stop mimedefang:

/usr/bin/pkill -x -u defang mimedefang
/usr/bin/pkill -x -u defang mimedefang-multiplexor

The problem was that pkill only sees the first 15 characters
of process name and I was leaving old copies of the
multiplexor running every time I stopped and started mimedefang.
This feature of the Solaris pkill command is documented in
the man page.

I now use the following:

/usr/bin/pkill -x -u defang mimedefang
/usr/bin/pkill -x -u defang mimedefang-mult

Thanks for MIMEDefang!

Regards

Nick