[Mimedefang] multiplexor error - slave died

Michael McCarthy m.mccarthy at psy.uq.edu.au
Mon Feb 4 18:09:21 EST 2002

At 10:16 AM 4/02/02 -0800, you wrote:
>I've been getting the following in my maillogs:
>
>Feb  4 04:12:36 mail mimedefang-multiplexor: Slave 0 stderr: Can't call
>method "path" on an undefined value at /usr/local/bin/mimedefang.pl line
>504.

I used to get quite a lot of these too. As the rest of the error message
says, must be when Mime::Tools figures there's an empty mime part. I
"fixed" it by adding the following code at the start of sub filter in
mimedefang-filter (action_quarantine is only called from there).

sub filter {

     my($entity, $fname, $ext, $type) = @_;
     my($body) = $entity->bodyhandle;
     :
     if (!defined($body)) {
        return action_drop_with_warning("Dropping empty attachment '$fname'.");
        }

This also solved some similar errors in my mimedefang-filter since I'm
doing some other stuff with $body->path.

Like you, this was only happening rarely - the repeated syslog errors were
mostly retries.

I haven't been paying much attention now that the syslog errors have gone
away, but I just had a look and located one message with a dropped empty
attachment. It was that "women drivers!" which originally has a bunch of
jpeg attachments (but no other content I think). Someone forwarded it to
one of our users from a hotmail account (X-Mailer: MSN Explorer
7.00...).  Mimedefang.pl complained about a "Non-multipart entity with
sub-parts??". The jpegs didn't get forwarded and the message got mangled.
30 seconds later msn.com also sent another message to the same user with no
subject and no content apart from some signature stuff...I figure it's in
the category of "broken mailer".

-
Michael McCarthy
IT Manager