[Mimedefang] OT: Sendmail Startup Script Question

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Dec 19 01:16:02 EST 2002

Jeff Grossman wrote:

>I am running Redhat 7.3.  I have my sendmail startup script to start two
>instances of Sendmail.  One for normal mail delivery and the other for
>queue control.  But, when I start up my machine, or restart, the
>machine, the queue control never starts up.  But, I issue a restart to
>the Sendmail startup script, it starts both instances of Sendmail just
>fine.  I am including my startup script below.  Would anybody be able to
>point me in a direction of modifying the script so it starts both
>instances upon a restart or boot up?

    Hrm, I had to do quite a bit of adjusting to get things working
properly.  For starters, as you noted, upon bootup only one instance of
sendmail comes up.  By default only on instance will shut down.  Yeah,
issues.  I also wanted to start up mimedefang and the multiplexor at the
same time, and rebuild the various databases that sendmail uses.  After
several trial and errors, I finally got to a script that has been
working well for me for months now.  I've attached it as a .zip file.
 My suggestion would be for you to go over it, read it step by step and
either make your own adjustments for your setup or...just use it if it
fits your environment.  Note that I try to read in
/etc/sysconfig/mimedefang for custom settings, otherwise it will use the
defaults specified in the script.

    David, this script is a modified version of the stock RedHat 7.3
init script.  If you'd like, feel free to add it to the contrib files.