[Mimedefang] $hits always 0 after spam_assassin_check

Paul Heinlein heinlein at cse.ogi.edu
Wed Dec 4 17:22:01 EST 2002

I'm new to this list, but I tried (and failed) to find the answer to
my question in the archives before posting. Sorry if it's a FAQ...

I've installed MIMEDefang 2.25 and its required modules (see specifics
below .sig). I've lightly edited the stock mimedefang-filter, but I
don't think my edits are the cause of the problem, namely,

The call to spam_assassin_check() in filter_end() always reports that
$hits are 0. I've sent my test account some pretty egregious spam, too
:-)

What I've tried or noticed:

* MIMEDefang's invocation of sophie works as expected, every time

* spamassassin works from the command line for a normal user

* putting a test md_log() statement at various points in filter_end():

  - I always get past the test for $Features{"SpamAssassin"}
    successfully

  - A "-s" test for the size of ./INPUTMSG returns a reasonable number

  - spam_assassin_check() returns a $req of 5, so there's no undef
    short-circuiting going on

  - spam_assassin_check() returns a $report of '(no report template
    found)', which suggests that PerMsgStatus.pm is working

Anything I'm obviously -- or not so obviously -- overlooking?

+-----------------------------------------+----------------------+
| Paul Heinlein                           | heinlein at cse.ogi.edu |
| Research Systems Engineer               |      +1 503 748-1472 |
| Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering | 20000 NW Walker Road |
| OGI School of Science & Engineering     |  Beaverton, OR 97006 |
| Oregon Health & Science University      |                  USA |
+-----------------------------------------+----------------------+

[tmp]$ /opt/CFST/mimedefang/bin/mimedefang.pl -features
MIMEDefang version 2.25

HTML::Parser                  : yes
Path:CONFDIR                  : yes (/etc/opt/CFST/mimedefang-2.25)
Path:QUARANTINEDIR            : yes (/var/opt/CFST/mimedefang-2.25/quarantine)
Path:SENDMAIL                 : yes (/usr/local/sbin/sendmail)
Path:SPOOLDIR                 : yes (/var/opt/CFST/mimedefang-2.25/spool)
SpamAssassin                  : yes
Unix::Syslog                  : yes
Virus:SOPHIE                  : yes (/usr/local/sbin/sophie)
File::Scan                    : no
HTMLCleaner                   : no
Virus:AVP                     : no
Virus:CLAMAV                  : no
Virus:CLAMD                   : no
Virus:FPROT                   : no
Virus:FSAV                    : no
Virus:FileScan                : no
Virus:HBEDV                   : no
Virus:NAI                     : no
Virus:NVCC                    : no
Virus:OpenAV                  : no
Virus:RAV                     : no
Virus:SOPHOS                  : no
Virus:TREND                   : no

IO::Socket                    : Version 1.27
MIME::Tools                   : Version 5.411
MIME::Words                   : Version 5.404
Digest::SHA1                  : Version 2.01
Mail::SpamAssassin            : Version 2.43
Anomy::HTMLCleaner            : missing
File::Scan                    : missing
HTML::Parser                  : Version 3.26
Unix::Syslog                  : Version 0.97