[Mimedefang] Anyone using MD with HP Tru64 (Digital Unix)?

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Thu Aug 29 15:24:01 EDT 2002

Hi, I have been playing with MIMEDefang for a couple of weeks on a Solaris
machine, and am ready to try turning it loose on our campus.  However, our
main email gateway runs HP Tru64 Unix (a/k/a Digital Unix, a/k/a OSF1).
I'm having some problems compiling and have gotten around some problems
and others have me stumped.  Here goes:

First problem was, when it compiled (or I guess linked) the multiplexor,
I got this error:

cc -g -o mimedefang-multiplexor mimedefang-multiplexor.o event.o
event_tcp.o drop_privs.o
ld:
Unresolved:
snprintf
vsnprintf
*** Exit 1
Stop.

  I remembered having this same problem when compiling our current milter
program (Ray's Mail Filter) under sendmail 8.12 (but not under 8.11) and
got around it by putting "-ldb" at the end of the command line.  That
seems to work for MD as well, by editing the generated Makefile.

  There seems to be another problem with the generated Makefile, however.
When it compiles elements, it looks like this:

cc -g -DPERL_PATH=\"/usr/bin/perl\"
-DMIMEDEFANG_PL=\"/usr/local/bin/mimedefang
.pl\"  -DRM=\"/usr/bin/rm\"  -DVERSION=\"2.17\"
-DSPOOLDIR=\"/var/spool/MIMEDef
ang\"  -DQDIR=\"/var/spool/MIMEDefang\"  -DCONFDIR=\"/etc/mimedefang\"
all: mim
edefang mimedefang-multiplexor -I/usr/local/include/sendmail -c -o
mimedefang-mu
ltiplexor.o mimedefang-multiplexor.c

   Sorry for the word wrap.  Anyway, I don't think that the stuff starting
with "all:" (which is not on a new line when I look at the "make" output)
belongs there.  I don't get any compile errors, but when I do a make
install, I get this:

	Make: Don't know how to make all.  Stop.

   Any ideas?

Jim
* James H. McCullars                 I Phone: (256) 824-2610              *
* Director of Systems & Operations   I Fax:   (256) 824-6643              *
* Computer & Network Services        I Internet: mccullj at email.uah.edu    *
* The University of Alabama          I -----------------------------------*
*    in Huntsville                   I                                    *
* Huntsville, AL 35899               I This space for rent - CHEAP!       *