[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.20-BETA-1 (Performance enhancement)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Aug 29 10:56:01 EDT 2002

Hi,

MIMEDefang 2.20-BETA-1 is available at:

http://www.roaringpenguin.com/mimedefang/mimedefang-2.20-BETA-1.tar.gz

This is a performance-improving release.  Previously, mimedefang.c
forked and exec'd "/bin/rm" to clean up the work directory.  I have
re-implemented this in C so that no forking/execing is required.  This
can improve performance on systems where it's expensive to fork a
multithreaded process.  With this implementation, and the right filter
rules, MIMEDefang can operate without forking and execing at all (except
when starting new slaves.)

It should help a lot on busy servers.  I'm looking for people with
busy servers to test this.  Also, if you read C code, please
take a look at "rm_r.c" which implements the recursive deletion and check
it for sanity.  It looks good to me, but it's easy to make subtle mistakes...

Complete changelog since 2.19 follows.

2002-08-29  David F. Skoll  <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>

	* mimedefang.c (cleanup): Use an internal C implementation of
	"rm -r" rather than forking and execing /bin/rm.  This should
	improve performance on heavily-loaded systems.

2002-08-25  David F. Skoll  <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>

	* configure.in: Added --with-user=LOGIN configure-time option.
	We do not check for existence of this user at configure-time,
	because it would complicate building of RPM.

	* RPM creates "defang" user when installed.

	* Cleaned up configure script to use AC_MSG_xxx instead of echo
	in a lot of places.