[Mimedefang] Newbie questions about variables in mimedefang filter and spam assassin configuration

James Olsen jamesml at planetolsen.com
Sat Aug 17 23:37:00 EDT 2002

Hello,

I was wondering where I could find more information about global
variables and such that are available from within a mimedefang filter.

For example, I'd like to alter the rejection threshold for spam detection (with
spam assassin) based on who the message is to. I tried to get a
MIME::Head from the passed-in $entity, but it appears to be empty (no
'To' information).

I saw somewhere (a recipe or something) that references @Recipients
but I haven't tried it yet. Is there any place I can look that would
help me learn about the mimedefang environment so I can adjust my
filter accordingly?

I also had another question. I was previously using spamass-milter
before mimedefang, and it was using my spam assassin configuration for
adjusting the subject of messages, etc. However, mimedefang doesn't
let spam assassin do it's configured thing to the messages anymore. Is
there a way to get all of the spam assassin functionality working
again from mimedefang? Or is only a small set of spam assassin features
available? If so, what's not available? Is it only the message munging
that I must do manually? Do the black lists and white lists still work
within spam assassin? Does spam assassin use my original configuration
(which was installed into /usr/local/share/spamassassin and consists
of in part: 10_misc.cf, 20_body_tests.cf, 20_head_tests.cf,
20_uri_tests.cf, 40_spam_phrases.cf, 50_scores.cf, 60_whitelist.cf,
languages, triplets.txt, user_prefs.template)? Or is the only thing
that matters now the newly installed
/etc/mail/spamassassin/sa-mimedefang.cf?

Thanks for your help..

BTW - The answers to these questions (or these topics) might be good to put
into the FAQ.

Thanks again...

--James