[Mimedefang] Setting variables

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Aug 16 10:41:01 EDT 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:53:52 -0500 (CDT)
Jim McCullars <jim at info.uah.edu> wrote:

> Hi, I have a question about setting variables in mimedefang-filter.  If I
> set a global variable in, say, filter_relay, will it be there in all other
> routines?

No.

> Or if I set it at the beginning (just under $Stupidity in the
> example), will it be there for all of them?  I'd like to set a global
> variable $LocalRelay one time and have it available in a couple of places.

The rules are:

- Anything you set outside a subroutine in your filter is available all
the time.

- Anything you set inside filter_relay, filter_sender or filter_recipient
is volatile -- it may or may not be set for any other functions.  See
the source code to understand why. :-)

- Anything you set in filter_begin is available in filter and filter_end.

- Anything you set in filter is available in filter_end.