[Mimedefang] How to read MD output

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Fri Aug 2 19:15:01 EDT 2002

Hi Folks:

   I got MIMEDefang running and it is filtering those attachments.  I'm
getting some messages in my inbox that I'm not sure what to make of.  I
use pine to read email, and I get an email that looks like this (header
lines slightly munged to ensure no misinterpretations):

^WARNING: This e-mail has been altered by MIMEDefang.  Following this

  <snip rest of MD blurb>

^    [ Part 2.2: "Attached Text" ]
^
^
^/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAAEASwBLAAD//gAfTEVBRCBUZWNobm9sb2dpZXMgSW5jLiBWMS4wMQD/
^2wCEABUODxIPDRUSERIXFhUZHzQiHx0dH0AuMCY0TENQT0tDSUhUX3lmVFlyW0hJaY9qcn2B
^h4mHUWWVn5OEnnmFh4IBFhcXHxsfPiIiPoJXSVeCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKCgoKC

  <snip remainder>

That's what I see in pine.  If I look directly in my /var/mail file, it
looks like this:

^------------=_1028307102-7944-0
^
^/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAAEASwBLAAD//gAfTEVBRCBUZWNobm9sb2dpZXMgSW5jLiBWMS4wMQD/
^2wCEABUODxIPDRUSERIXFhUZHzQiHx0dH0AuMCY0TENQT0tDSUhUX3lmVFlyW0hJaY9qcn2B

   <Remainder snipped>

If I use the Pine "bounce" command and send to another email account, that
jpeg attachment doesn't show up at all - as either text or an attachment.
So what is it about these headers that is confusing things?  Or is this a
Pine problem?

Jim