[Mimedefang] Where in the filter is the virus scanner called?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Apr 19 07:23:11 EDT 2002

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Anthony Giggins wrote:

> Is virus scanner called from filter_begin or filter

Again, it's up to you.  You should probably call one of the
message_contains_virus_* functions in filter_begin.  If you reject
the message, don't bother calling any virus-related functions in filter.

If you just want to remove the infected part, then call
entity_contains_virus_* inside filter (but don't do it unless
message_contains_virus_* found something.)

Example 1: We bounce messages containing viruses.

sub filter_begin {
	if (message_contains_virus_xxx()) {
		return action_bounce("Virus found");
	}
}

Example 2: We quarantine virus-bearing attachments.

sub filter_begin {
	$FoundVirus = message_contains_virus_xxx();
}

sub filter {
	if ($FoundVirus && entity_contains_virus_xxx($entity)) {
		return action_quarantine($entity, "Virus found");
	}
}