[Mimedefang] sendmail-8.12.2 rpms with milter enabled

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Fri Apr 5 07:45:28 EST 2002

I have created some rpms for sendmail-8.12.2 that have milter
enabled.

This is the nosrc rpm...

 bytes	URL
  30007	http://www.linuxworks.com.au/sendmail-8.12.2-5milter.nosrc.rpm

nosrc rpms are useful... this one is only 30k in size and contains
everything needed (spec file and patches) to rebuild the binary
packages -- except the sendmail tarball itself.  Before you use the
.spec file, go get the tarball (if you haven't already) and put it
into /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/.

  (To create a "real" .src.rpm that includes the tarball, then
  comment out the "NoSource" directive in the .spec file before you
  rebuild it).

The .spec file should build the binary packages with "rpm -ba" and
work successfully on both redhat 6.2 and 7.x boxes (tested, both
systems had all updates applied).  Four rpms are created, the ones I
have available have been built on a "standard" (updated) redhat 7.2
box:

 bytes	URL
 656638	http://www.linuxworks.com.au/sendmail-8.12.2-5milter.i386.rpm
 294824	http://www.linuxworks.com.au/sendmail-cf-8.12.2-5milter.i386.rpm
 188110	http://www.linuxworks.com.au/sendmail-devel-8.12.2-5milter.i386.rpm
 774172	http://www.linuxworks.com.au/sendmail-doc-8.12.2-5milter.i386.rpm

Note the additional sendmail-devel package, it contains all the
milter .a and .h files needed for building mimedefang.  (Make sure
that you remove any old versions that may be in /usr/local/).

Additionally, I have enabled better support for the "genericstable"
feature (which I have found to be a useful thing).  The location of
the sendmail.cf and aliases file is /etc/mail/ (as per sendmail's
compile-time defaults, I never did like the original messy rpm patch
that changed all those paths:)

These RPMs are very much a product of imitating the hacks of others
and then adding many of my own.  They work for me, I hope they are
of some use to others.  Use at your own risk.  I would welcome any
feedback, especially reports of problems or suggestions for
improvements.

  sendmail-8.12.x is quite a different beast to 8.11.x (eg, sendmail
  is no longer suid root but su-grp "smmsp", all locally posted
  email has its own mail queue directory and processed as a new
  "smmsp" user), so changes to the install scripts have had to be
  made to allow for all this.  Also, the devel and doc packages
  contain some of the same files, oops I'll fix that next time.

Cheers
Tony