[Mimedefang] Mail Server

Karel.DeBruyne dbruyne at uia.ua.ac.be
Mon Dec 17 02:43:37 EST 2001

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, David F. Skoll wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Manjunath.H.N. wrote:
>
> > I am using Postfix as a Mail Server in my company as the rules of the
> > company insist that a backup of all incoming and outgoing mails to be stored
> > even though it can be done in Sendmail it takes a lot of congfiguration so I
> > decided on Postfix which is much more simpler.
>
> Well, it's very simple to do this with Sendmail and MIMEDefang, also.

yes, use sendmail and just replace mail.local
I wrote something like this. If you would be interested, you can have the
source code.

> > Also the Company is planning to implement a policy such that whenever a mail
> > with attachment is sent from an employee inside the company to somebody
> > outside a alert has to be sent to a particular user and upon his decision
> > that the mail attachment does not posess any security threat to the company
> > he can let it go or delete it if he does not find it secure.Can this be
> > implemented with Mimedefang on Postfix or atleast could you help me in
> > trying to do this.
>
> MIMEDefang does not work with Postfix.  It relies on the "Milter" API,
> which is Sendmail-specific.
>
> One of my clients implemented just such a "hold-for-approval" policy
> using MIMEDefang and a special Sendmail setup involving two queues.
> It takes a bit of Perl and Sendmail knowledge to set it up.
>
> I suppose in principle, it should be possible to add the Milter API to any
> SMTP mail transfer agent, but for now (and the forseeable future),
> MIMEDefang is Sendmail-specific.
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

Karel De Bruyne
System/Network Manager                      phone      + 32 3 820 22 04
UIA - Network Service                       fax        + 32 71 83 43 00
Universiteitsplein 1 - B0.12                email  dbruyne at uia.ua.ac.be
B 2610 Wilrijk - Belgium              http://www.uia.ua.ac.be/u/dbruyne