[Mimedefang] Mail Server

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sun Dec 16 14:01:06 EST 2001

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Manjunath.H.N. wrote:

> I am using Postfix as a Mail Server in my company as the rules of the
> company insist that a backup of all incoming and outgoing mails to be stored
> even though it can be done in Sendmail it takes a lot of congfiguration so I
> decided on Postfix which is much more simpler.

Well, it's very simple to do this with Sendmail and MIMEDefang, also.

> Also the Company is planning to implement a policy such that whenever a mail
> with attachment is sent from an employee inside the company to somebody
> outside a alert has to be sent to a particular user and upon his decision
> that the mail attachment does not posess any security threat to the company
> he can let it go or delete it if he does not find it secure.Can this be
> implemented with Mimedefang on Postfix or atleast could you help me in
> trying to do this.

MIMEDefang does not work with Postfix.  It relies on the "Milter" API,
which is Sendmail-specific.

One of my clients implemented just such a "hold-for-approval" policy
using MIMEDefang and a special Sendmail setup involving two queues.
It takes a bit of Perl and Sendmail knowledge to set it up.

I suppose in principle, it should be possible to add the Milter API to any
SMTP mail transfer agent, but for now (and the forseeable future),
MIMEDefang is Sendmail-specific.