[Mimedefang] Trailing dots in hostname lookups

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Feb 2 20:19:14 EST 2024

On 2/2/2024 3:59 PM, Kevin A. McGrail via MIMEDefang wrote:
> Hi Kenneth, are your 4 search domains local lookups likely to be very
> quick that havee high availability?  Otherwise they could add a lot of
> delays so I do think it's worth more research.
>
> Can you post some of the log lines from maillog verbatim?  It might
> trigger a thought.

Alas, by the time I got to revisit this, my named query logs had rotated
off the problem point. Obviously I need to increase the retention on
those. It's possible that the entries I saw were from me testing the
domain lookup from the command line, where I wouldn't have included the
trailing dot. I don't see any other examples in my logs. It's also
possible that the bounce I saw was from a transient error at mimecast
caused by a misconfigured DNS load balancer that omitted the trailing
dot. (This isn't the first time this happened, but it's rare.) I'll keep
an eye on it.