[Mimedefang] Can't get mimedefang to work.

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Wed Feb 15 08:28:39 EST 2023

On Wed, 15 Feb 2023 02:02:14 -0500
Mark London via MIMEDefang <mimedefang at lists.mimedefang.org> wrote:

> Hi - My problem is that Ubuntu’s new version of perl is not very
> happy with some of the syntax in my mimedefang-filter.

Have you updated MIMEDefang too?  AFAIK, there are a bunch of changes
to MIMEDefang that might need filter changes.

(Shameless plug) MIMEDefang's Perl code is not conducive to writing
well-structured filter code.  You might want to look at
https://mailmunge.org/ which I wrote as a replacement for MIMEDefang.
The structure of the Perl code is significantly better.

I'd hazard a guess and say if your filter is hanging but not kicking out
any errors, it might be trying to read from STDIN.  That is something a
filter should never do; it will block and interfere with the communication
between the multiplexor and your filter.

Regards,

Dianne.