[Mimedefang] getting started

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Thu May 5 09:49:03 EDT 2022

On 5/5/2022 7:52 AM, Anthony Griffiths via MIMEDefang wrote:
> I've just installed  mimedefang-2.86 on centos 7 but its not working
> and I'm not sure what I need to do to get it up and running. I used to
> have md running on centos 6 but that was ages ago.
> I don't know how to verify if md is running or whether it is invoked
> by sendmail, I can't find any init script to start it up. I installed
> md from source (mimedefang-2.86.tar.gz)
> in sendmail.mc I have :
> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`mimedefang',
> `S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, T=S:5m;R:5m')
> I also tried
> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`mimedefang',
> `S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, F=T, T=S:1m;R:1m')
> but in /var/log/maillog I get:
> sendmail[4681]: <snip> Milter (mimedefang): local socket name
> /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock unsafe
> sendmail[4681]:<snip> Milter (mimedefang): to error state
> I've been trawling google on this, page after page but couldn't find
> anything to dig myself out of this hole.
>
> do I need to start md up myself? if so what is the command? id there
> an available init script to create a 'mimedefang.service'? or is md
> invoked automatically by sendmail? thanks for any help.

Hi Anthony,

https://mcgrail.com/downloads/The%20Perl%20Conference%202019%20-%20%20Fighting%20Spam%20with%20Perl%20using%20Apache%20SpamAssassin%20&%20MIMEDefang%20.pdf
about slide 20 has some information and yes, you'll want to start them,
i.e.:

systemctl start mimedefang

systemctl start sendmail

And to enable on restart systemctl enable ... for both as well.

Does that help?

Regards,
KAM