[Mimedefang] [External] Re: Test

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Sun Nov 22 14:17:36 EST 2020

On 11/22/2020 12:42 PM, Fredrik Pettai wrote:
>> Have you looked at Orange Spam?  That was effectively a lightweight rewrite of SA in Python.  Not as feature rich but I believe rulesets were compatible.  They got bought by SolarWinds so I don't know if the project is alive any more.
> This one?https://github.com/SpamExperts/OrangeAssassin  ?
> It looked alive (it had recent commits), but a closer look shows its automation jobs doing all commits & pull requests etc. the last year(s).
I think so yes, but the website has been pulled.  I didn't think to
check for a repo. I know that SpamExperts was bought by SolarWinds and
that Dreas is no longer with the firm though.  With it, I think this
python-based project became dormant.
> (but then again, SpamAssassin isn’t fast moving target these days…)
SA is a mature product with gazillions of users so it doesn't have much
change really.  But it is alive, features being added, bugs being fixed,
etc.  I'd like to get more releases done though the repo code is usually
quite suitable for production environments believe it or not.
> PS. Is there a (hidden) pun in “orange assassin” that non-native English speakers don’t understand? Or perhaps it’s something Dutch… (SpamExperts originate from Holland I believe DS.

I believe it's an homage to Dreas and team from Amsterdam and the House
of Orange.

Regards,
KAM