[Mimedefang] Network connection for MD->ClamAV?

Bill Cole mdlist-20140424 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Feb 21 16:36:33 EST 2019

I'm working on a setup for an expandable cluster of machines running
clamd, for the use of multiple MX hosts running diverse MTAs.
Unfortunately, my do-it-all preferred milter (MD) only supports talking
to clamd over a local unix socket. Has anyone worked out a solid way
around this?

My thoughts on ways to do it are:

1. Use socat to hook a local socket file to a TCP connection to the
clamd server.
2. Just have MD use the 'clamdscan' client with a config file pointing
at the clamd server.
3. Integrate File::Scan::ClamAV support into mimedefang-filter.

Has anyone done anything like this with MD? Can you share any hints?

Ideally, a solution would work with simple round-robin DNS (as the Exim
'exiscan' feature does) to spread the load but if I have to write that
code myself or specify a load balancer (ugh) I guess I can.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org