[Mimedefang] A rose by any other name... Renaming MIMEDefang. What's your idea for a name?

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at inf.h-brs.de
Tue Dec 10 02:54:16 EST 2019

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019, Anne Bennett wrote:

>> MIMEDefang needs a new name.
>
> Why?

Hm, the name was considered obsolete way back, if I recall correctly,
because it grew way above the original intend: to defang suspicious MIME
parts.

Maybe, with trademarks on the hand et al, it's time to move.

> From: From: Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst at barrett.com.au>
> It obeserves/checks/looks at the Mime of mail messages and then
> deletes/cans/removes a dangerous part

The MIMEDefang Milter can do much more:
+ Apply ACLs
+ Reroute messages
+ Add/delete recipients
+ Change senders
+ Manipulate messages
+ Log messages
+ Archive messages
+ Sign/encrypt/verify messages
+ ...

Several other milters focus on Virus, SPAM, Malware and the like only.

> From: Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com>
> PerlMilter would clarify exactly what it does, but might be too generic.

Yeah. I like it.

GenericPerlMilter
AllYouCanThinkOfMilter  :-)

=====

ClamMilter - a Perl based Milter to scan and manipulate messages

In reference to ClamAV as pointed out by Bill.
Does anybody know, if ClamAV (now owned by Cisco, IMHO) is an acronym,
well AV == Anti Virus, but the "Clam" part?

SquidMilter - ...

Squid, any of more than 300 species of 10-armed cephalopods classified
within the order Teuthoidea [Britannica] ... the squid has its tentacles
everywhere.
Might be a reference to the Squid web proxy/cache as well.

PenguinMilter - ...
PengiMilter - ...

In reference to the past of it

GeneralPurposeMilter (abbr. GPMilter) - ...

all you can think of you can do with *the* General Purpose Milter

--
Cheers,
Steffen Kaiser