[Mimedefang] REVISED: postfix/mimedefang socket

Dianne Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Sep 29 10:22:25 EDT 2017

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 23:11:18 -0500
Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:

> 1) Is it necessary to rm $SOCKET and $MX_SOCKET *before starting*?

It's best to do so because if mimedefang or mimedefang-multiplexor
crashes, the socket files will be left lying around and startup will likely
fail.

> 2) Is it necessary to rm $SOCKET and $MX_SOCKET *after stopping*?

It's best to do so in order that stale socket files are not left
lying around.

> 3) The init script (at least on Ubuntu) says, '# Locale should be set
> to "C" for generating valid date headers'. I see a strftime() in
> mimedefang-multiplexor.c. Plus, the Perl code inherits from the
> multiplexor, so I can understand this. Is setting LC_ALL=C necessary
> for the mimedefang process too, or just mimedefang-multiplexor?

I don't know; it's probably safer for both.

> 4) The mimedefang-multiplexor process exits with status 1 on SIGTERM.

This is a bug that was corrected in MIMEDefang 2.82.

Regards,

Dianne.