[Mimedefang] Error with mimedefang + clamd

Info @ brainwash info at brainwash.gr
Thu Nov 23 07:25:28 EST 2017

Hello Dianne & Bill,

Thank you both for your replies..

@Dianne: I have already tested your recommendation, i.e. run mimedefang with the -G option and have the clamav user as member of the defang group. In particular, the startup parameters of both services are:

/usr/bin/mimedefang -P /run/mimedefang.pid -o /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.lock -m /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang-multiplexor.sock -y -R -1 -U defang -r -s -t -G -q -p inet:14865

/usr/bin/mimedefang-multiplexor -p /run/mimedefang-multiplexor.pid -o /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang-multiplexor.lock -m 2 -x 10 -y 0 -U defang -b 600 -r 200 -l -t /var/log/mimedefang/stats -Z -G -s /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang-multiplexor.sock

.. and I get the issues with the Work files creation as initially mentioned, even though clamav user is a member of the defang group. Unfortunately, I cannot run clamav under defang due to admin restricions/policies.

@Bill, as per the 0766 setting, I changed it as a troubleshooting method. The directory does not have 0766 permissions under normal operation. You are right in your statements and thank you for describing them in detail. I had checked the manual pages and found Dianne's recommendation, however as it was not working on our system I started searching even deeper.

Anything else I can check regarding this error, should it provide more insight towards solving the issue?

Thank you,

Socrates