[Mimedefang] score USER_IN_WHITELIST_TO

Bill Cole mdlist-20140424 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Nov 22 18:57:46 EST 2017

On 22 Nov 2017, at 16:39 (-0500), Kris Deugau wrote:
[...]
> Right, sorry, I forgot about those kind of cases (even in the man page
> IIRC).  I've always excluded those by just not passing their mail to
> SA - either because of some magic in my MIMEDefang setup, or by
> disabling the call to SA at final delivery to a mailbox.
>
> You can set the score for this the same as any other rule, by adding
> this to sa-mimedefang.cf:
>
> score USER_IN_WHITELIST_TO  -100
>
> Note that this affects *all* whitelist_to entries;  there is no way to
> selectively set a different score for each one.  If you need to do
> that, you probably need to make larger changes in the mail flow for
> those recipients so you can bypass SA entirely, or process it but
> deliver as usual instead of quarantining for those recipients.

Not wanting to seem argumentative for its own sake or turn this into
<spamassassin-users at apache.org>, but this is from one of my local config
files:

# Default is -6 but this is a more useful value
score USER_IN_WHITELIST_TO -3
# Default is -20 but that's too much for most exposed accounts
score USER_IN_MORE_SPAM_TO -10.000
# Default is -100 but "all" really shouldn't extend that far. There are
limits...
score USER_IN_ALL_SPAM_TO -40.000

Because as 'perldoc  Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf' explains:

    There are three levels of To-whitelisting, "whitelist_to",
    "more_spam_to" and "all_spam_to". Users in the first level may
    still get some spammish mails blocked, but users in "all_spam_to"
    should never get mail blocked.

I use this to both protect role addresses and (in conjunction with
Postfix config) to provide users with multiple flavors of tagged
addresses that get different levels of protection from my draconian
local SA rules and the local DNSBL (not queryable from outside although
idiots do try) which lists space used by a whole lot of perfectly
innocent people (literally billions) and more than a few part-time
miscreants (e.g. SendGrid, MailChimp, etc.)

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Currently Seeking Steady Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole