[Mimedefang] adding promotional banner to top of email

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.net
Wed Jun 21 18:33:40 EDT 2017

On 21-6-17 16:32, Kris Deugau wrote:
> Mark Coetser wrote:
>> I know html email is not ideal but unfortunately most customers use it
>> now days. I am currently using append_html_boilerplate to add signatures
>> etc and now a client has requested that we add promotional banners to
>> the top of all html emails. I have searched and just cant find anything
>> that relates to doing this with mimedefang, any pointers please?
>>

> You'll probably have to deconstruct append_html_boilerplate's internals, and build a custom prepend_html_boilerplate sub to suit.

You could just use "sub filter_end" to insert a new HTML part that comprises your header (assuming the content also contained HTML). Easier than modifying the existing HTML to add a header.

However... make doubly sure to *ONLY* do this on mails that originate locally, from your own domain, and never for any mails in transit, as you'll break DKIM signatures on the body. Don't just look at originating IP, look at the From: address too.

And best of all, as the previous posting suggested... don't do this at all. It will likely just get your domain blocked, either explicitly or implicitly as spam-detection algorithms get too many of the same HTML headers, and they start treating it as spam.

So, just... no.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.net>
Systeembeheer XS4ALL Internet bv