[Mimedefang] utf-8 issue?

Bill Cole mdlist-20140424 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Dec 13 16:28:58 EST 2017

On 13 Dec 2017, at 2:31, Mark Coetser wrote:

> On 13/12/2017 00:09, Bill Cole wrote:
[...]
>> I'd bet this is the same as this bug:
>> https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=105377
>>
>> Which remains open but maybe not unfixed.
>>
>>> and the filter is pretty much the stock microsoft mimedefang-filter
>>> and this does seem to be related from the upgrade from Debian Jessie
>>> to Stretch, does anyone have any pointers?
>>

>> It couldn't hurt to update MIME-Tools and it is certain that you're
>> not up-to-date with it, since line 1878 of the current Entity.pm is
>> blank. That error message would only be generated by line 1892 in the
>> current version. My bet is that the typo fix cited in the Changelog
>> for 5.507 also fixed this...
>>

> line 1878 in my /usr/share/perl5/MIME/Entity.pm is the following
>
>     my $IO = $self->open("r")     || die "open body: $!";

Indicating that you are using the same version of MIME-Tools as the
person who opened Bug #105377, which was 5.506.

Unfortunately, I tested a bit more and found that bug is still extant in
5.509, when tested with the one-liner in that bug report.

Hopefully Dianne will note that. This could be a different issue
generating the same error in the same place OR it could be that she has
fixed something since which mostly avoids triggering it. It would still
make sense to update to MIME-Tools 5.509 and MIMEDefang 2.83 to rule out
the possibility that this is a fixed issue with the current versions.