[Mimedefang] Privilege escalation via PID file manipulation

Michael Orlitzky michael at orlitzky.com
Thu Aug 31 18:09:17 EDT 2017

On 08/31/2017 04:42 PM, Dianne Skoll wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a much more extensive patch, but I believe it does finally
> close the hole if you keep your PID files in a root-owned directory.
>
> Please test this; I plan on releasing 2.81 tomorrow.

I applied the patch and updated the Gentoo init script with the new -p
and -o changes, and now everything looks good. The two PID files are
located directly in /run and owned by root:root, while the two lock
files live in the spool directory and are owned by defang:defang.

The daemon starts/stops without issue.

Thanks once more for your help with this. I'll ask for a CVE assignment
in a moment, and then wait until the new version is released before
making an announcement for the distros.