[Mimedefang] Checking Office XML Files

Dianne Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Apr 13 09:43:18 EDT 2017

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 07:15:24 -0400
"Kevin A. McGrail" <KMcGrail at pccc.com> wrote:

> Any ideas how to reliably detect if they are password protected
> Office files and deal with them appropriately?

:) Funny you should ask!  We do this in CanIt.

There's a program called "lsar" that can print out all kinds of useful info
about all kinds of archive formats, including MS Office files.  Some encrypted
office files contain a subfile called "EncryptionInfo" while for others,
"lsar" issues an "XADIsEncrypted" attribute.

So you can key off those.

On Debian, "lsar" is part of the "unar" package.

Regards,

Dianne.